2005/02/15

Fools Hate

Good afternoon Boys and Girls,

surrogate here.

Two entire days.

For two days I've been trying to wrap my head around how to write this post. I've started it three times without coming close to saying what I was hoping to get across. Think it's because I've been trying to intellectualize something that just can't be - at least by me.

A friend of mine has been targeted by a few idiots because of his national origin. He's frankly tired of it.

And, it's begun to get under his skin and interrupt his thought processes to a point that I'll bet even he's surprised at. And, from what I understand, he's feeling little support from his friends which adds to his simmering.

I started to go at this article by looking at the suffix "ism" in the English language. It, when added to a noun, has come to usually denote sets of beliefs having to do with the root noun - as in the words racism, nationalism, crony-ism...

The resulting terms tend to have a negative connotations to large segments of the population since they end up expressing concepts that we associate with preconceived ideas, unearned or deserved preferential status, or prejudices of one sort or another.

After spending quite a bit of time looking at all the words I could find with this particular dumb suffix, and then trying to figure out a way to tie the relevant terms to the point I was hoping to get to, which is, by the way, that racism, nationalism and even patriotism (especially if you add the word "blind" before it), are all ideas that, for people with with any smarts at all, have seen their day and should be, by and large, relegated to the huge historic dumping ground of outdated and outmoded ideas along with forced segregation, fascism, and of course, the "Just Say No" ad campaign which singlehandedly spurred more joke variations (these on frying eggs) than any other failed government sponsored propaganda campaign until George W. Bush was elected to the White House.

Unfortunately, my logic was flawed and I couldn't make the point.

Next I thought I'd become a temporary apologist for nationalists and racists at least for the purpose of trying to understand their underlying motivations and fears. This was especially depressing, because seeking to understand and to some extent accept premises you know in your heart to be completely wrong, immoral and stupid tend to make one ill.

So.

I'm left to pity the Mad Cows of the world. (Yeah, I know the spelling is wrong.... let it be.) That's it really.

The way I see it, if these folks really believe, in their hearts, the hate they spew, they are to be pitied for utter stupidity.

And if, as I suspect, at least in some cases, that they know perfectly well that what they do (and pretend to believe) is repugnant beyond the tolerance of any real human being (and by that I mean - with apologies to my atheist friends - homosapiens with a discernible soul) then they are to be pitied for the incredible karmic smash they will inevitably suffer at some point in the future.

Be good to everyone.

15 Comments:

Hey Surrogate... :-)

I think your “...that I'll bet even he's surprised at” statement is probably as spot on as they come by.

Yeah, blind hatred does indeed bear its ugly fruits, just like Billie Holliday experienced while observing them hanging down from trees. It muddles the targets' comprehension to the point where they confuse friends and foes.

But statements such as yours go a long way to re-establish the balance. You're a rare person, Surrogate - so few see the humankind flaws which relentlessly cause it to destroys itself along with this planet.
2/15/2005 04:32:00 am  
Hell, WhyNot, I'm just happy it ended up making any sense at all. It's sooo hard to talk about these sorts of indefensable, illogical, and utterly mean spirited practices as though they aren't what they are.

I mean, to call them (the actions as opposed to the people - since we'll always give the benifit of the doubt)anything other than plain evil, is to, in some respects, legitamnize them by giving these bogus concepts the same sort of scrutiny that ought to be reserved for topics about which there could be honest disagreement between well meaning folks.
2/15/2005 05:39:00 am  
A much needed post, surrogate. I know I struggle with the same issues myself, and then also wonder whether I should spend my energy trying to logically respond to their hate or just move on and spend my energy where it will probably more useful...
2/15/2005 05:54:00 am  
Surrogate thanks for saying this in the way only you can. You should concentrate on your writing and do more of it.
2/15/2005 08:50:00 am  
Jenni, I think we all have to find our own battlegrounds where we can be effective. As a person who studied the bible in depth for years I drew the Cao's fire when I stepped on her sanctimonious toes.
It's always worth it to counterattack wrong in the world. You'll get slapped around a bit and sometimes it will hurt.
I jump in the fray for the sake of those few that are just following while trying to make up their minds. This is not with the intention of drawing them to 'our' side but to clear the fog enough for them to realize something isn't right.
2/15/2005 09:01:00 am  
"It's sooo hard to talk about these sorts of indefensable... ",

Yes, Surrogate, I know exactly what you mean. You feel at a loss arguing. How does one even begin to argue with hatred in any kind of logical manner?

Hence the inevitable occasional loss of perspective by the "targetees" (s'cuse my french, LOL). For all my propensity for viscious sarcasm, I'm actually uncommonly gentle a person. Maybe the 2 traits go together, one being a defense mechanism for the other.

Anyway.... thanks muchly, my friend. You've pressed the right buttons and I'll try remember not every body is a Mad CAO :-) 

Posted by WhyNot
2/15/2005 09:29:00 am  
Dianne...I think where I get hung up is whether any of us can be effective with certain members of the opposition. :) 

Posted by Jenni
2/15/2005 11:39:00 pm  
Jenni..probably not but it's worth the try. Nothing is accomplished by doing nothing eh? But, we all find our place where we fight best and the likes of Cao are not for everyone. There are others not so virulent that need to be confronted as well.  

Posted by Dianne
2/15/2005 11:46:00 pm  
heh heh... Dianne said virulent. heh heh... 

Posted by surrogate
2/15/2005 11:55:00 pm  
When I first started blogging, I willingly jumped into the fray on many conservative blogs. Perhaps I just need a short break before jumping back in again. Maybe I'll start easy and work my way up to Cao ;) 

Posted by Jenni
2/16/2005 06:29:00 am  
WhyNot and Dianne, you know we all love you.. at least this chickie does!!
i know it hurts the harsh words that are said to you and about you.. but look at it this way..
"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me... unless a dictionary is thrown."

now when ever that evil person slanders you.. think of those words and i bet you a dollar a smile will creep upon your face.. *huggles* to you both 

Posted by April
2/16/2005 08:23:00 am  
I'm glad you missed one of my other comments, Surrogate. ;) Talk about virulent? LOL 

Posted by Dianne
2/16/2005 10:10:00 am  
Pulling back is good, Jenni. But, I'm also saying, Cao isn't for everyone. She's got a troop of vultures that stand around waiting to destroy truth whenever it raises it's head.
2/16/2005 10:13:00 am  
Thanks April, we know you're here for us and appreciate it more than I can say. :)
2/16/2005 10:15:00 am  
"i bet you a dollar a smile will creep upon your face ",

:-) well, a dollar ain't worth much nowadays, but from you it's worth more than gold bullions, my friend.

So yes, I can feel the smile working its way up..., thank you April :-) 

Posted by WhyNot
2/16/2005 11:11:00 am  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home