2005/02/22

Devastation and grief in Iran



Where have you gone? I had a lot of plans for you," Hossein Golestani sang softly to the lifeless form of his 7-year-old daughter, Fatima, held in his arms. The body of his 8-year-old daughter Mariam lay beside him in the devastated village of Hotkan.

Golestani and his wife were out tending their herd of goats when the quake struck at 5:55 a.m. wrecking their home. Other survivors slapped their faces in grief as they sat next to the dead, wrapped in blankets in hospital morgues or on roadsides.

As nighttime came, temperatures fell and rain turned to snow in parts of the mountains, and survivors huddled around fires to keep warm, covering themselves in blankets and sipping hot soup. Some 1,500 workers from the Iranian Red Crescent fanned out in teams, bringing tents and tarps.

"I lost everything. All my life is gone," sobbed Asghar Owldi, 60, his face bandaged. His wife and two children were killed.

The death toll stands at 420, with some 900 injured.

My heart goes out to them all. What can you say or do to ease their pain? How do you lose your family and all you own but the clothes on your back and remain sane?

2 Comments:

It's dreadful, and as you say, one feels so helpless. Aid relief to rebuild material damage works, but nothing can bring the dead back to life. Still, the main thing is to help the survivors.

I sure hope Chirac and his cronies get their act together so that my tax money contributes to the pledge 0.7% of this country's GDP. 

Posted by WhyNot
2/23/2005 03:26:00 am  
I look at these people realizing that the neo-cons believe them all to be terrorist. Without equivocation I have read over and over their statements that Islam is a terrorist religion and must be destroyed. Now I may be wrong but aren't Iranians dominantly Islamist? I hope I've made my point.  

Posted by Dianne
2/23/2005 10:35:00 am  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home