2005/01/24

Soldier, blogger dies in Iraq


Mike Smith was 24 years old, from Media, Penn. He died Jan. 11 in , Iraq when his military vehicle was hit by a rocket propelled grenade.

I feel terribly sad, sick, angry. I rarely post about soldiers. I never talk about support as mine is for them to go home. No, don't read into this that I wish them harm. That would be against everything I believe in. Mike's blog is here but he is not. There will be no more post. He was only 24 years old.

Mike had this to say 24 short days ago.

well.. i know i haven't been updating much, or really talking about my time here, so i'm going to have a run down of some things.

1. don't ask me if i've killed anyone. i don't like this question. just know i've done what i've had to, to survive, and this doesn't mean i have or haven't.

2. this is a run down of whats happened to me personally since i've been here.

a. been the victim of 3 roadside bombs (IED's) but haven't been injured in any of them.
b. been in 8 firefights. i was shot in one of them, but it only went through my cargo pocket, didn't hit my body.
c. been mortared more times than i can count. our unit is the most heavily mortared unit since the start of the war. but we've had no casulties from them, except for some vehicle damage.
d. i've been in more iraqi homes than i can count, and the people seem nice, some of the time. i've had lunch with one family, and i've detained another.
that is about all i can think of right now. if i think of more, i'll update.

3. if any of you are thinking about sending care packages, i have thought of something you can throw in there that would make me very very happy. Cloves. Djarum Blacks to be precise. Lots and lots.... actually, not lots, since they are expensive. but one or 2 packs would go a long way. thank you all in advance.

also, i've become somewhat of a star wars nut, so any little trinket would tickle my pickle.

well, just know that i'm alive, and i'm thinking of all of you. i miss you all so much

love-Mike
.

Bye Mike..I'm sorry..I hope you called your dad.

6 Comments:

That just broke my heart. I don't know what to say. 24 and just trying to stay alive while bush parties hardy. 

Posted by blondesense
1/24/2005 03:25:00 pm  
Yep. What can one say. Life sucks. Bush sucks even more. Strange how I don't know whether to curl up on the bed and cry, or to get in a rage of indignation and go murder the cunt right now. Just as well there is an ocean between us. 

Posted by WhyNot
1/24/2005 10:52:00 pm  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
1/24/2005 10:53:00 pm  
"Only among men is nature's law of 'survival of the fittest' thwarted and indeed, reversed; for in almost every generation the fittest are sent forth to be slaughtered by orders of the stunted, the twisted, and the senile." -- Sidney J. Harris 

Posted by Peter of Lone Tree
1/25/2005 03:36:00 am  
My heart breaks for the young lives we are losing everyday. This is not a political statement but a humanitarian one. 

Posted by Dianne
1/25/2005 09:40:00 am  
that is so sad. *sniff* now i shall be in a sad mood all day.
RIP MIKE..
DOWN WITH BUSH THE FUCKTARD! 

Posted by APRIL
1/25/2005 02:02:00 pm  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home